My daughter will be turning 4 years old in a little over a week. Now that she's big enough to actually stay focused on something for more than about 5 minutes at a time, I thought it would be fun to conduct an interview with her. Dee was sitting on the couch nearby while I asked the questions, and I don't know which of us laughed more at the interview answers. The questions were shamelessly cribbed from Beth at So The Fish Said, but the answers are all genuine creations of Violet:
1. What is something daddy always says to you?
I love you.
2. What makes daddy happy?
When I say I love you.
3. What makes daddy sad?
When I don't want to drink milk.
4. How does your daddy make you laugh?
By being silly.
5. What did your daddy like to do when he was a child?
Play with me. [She still doesn't quite get the concept that Mommy and Daddy were once kids her size.]
6. How old is your daddy?
I don't know.
7. How tall is your daddy?
8. What is his favorite thing to watch on TV?
The commercial show. [There was a commercial on TV when I asked this question. I do everything in my power to avoid watching commercials, so I'm assuming this was a prop-inspired answer.]
9. What does your daddy do when you're not around?
Go around in circles round and round and round. [Pretty accurate description of my workday, actually.]
10. If your daddy becomes famous, what will it be for?
When I get sad at you. [Definitely didn't understand the question.]
11. What is your daddy really good at?
Cleaning up. [At this point Dee both laughed and "hmphed" simultaneously. It's obvious to anyone older than 4 who in our household is really good at cleaning up, and it's NOT me.]
12. What is your daddy not very good at?
Not good at playing with the balloon. [It's true, I fail at playing with balloons. Especially if they're tied to Violet's wrist and she is trying to keep me from getting them.]
13. What does your daddy do for his job?
Draw some special things on his paper. [Again, a fairly accurate representation of my regular workday.]
14. What is your daddy 's favorite food?
Taquitos. [If my 4-yr old notices, maybe it's time to cut back on them a bit?]
15. What makes you proud of your daddy?
I love you.
16. If your daddy were a cartoon character, who would he be?
I don't know.
17. What do you and your daddy do together?
Play, turn on fans, fix things. [So spending hours putting together a bookcase with your daughter is equivalent in value to flicking a light switch to turn on the ceiling fan.]
18. How are you and your daddy the same?
We're both girls. [News to me! But the answer to the next question makes me think she was still trying to work something out on this question…]
19. How are you and your daddy different?
I'm a girl and you're a boy. [THERE we go!]
20. How do you know your daddy loves you?
He gives me kisses. [Glad I'm doing something right!]
21. What does your daddy like most about your mommy?
That she loves him. [She's so astute!]
22. Where is your daddy's favorite place to go?
On an airplane. [Definitely not my favorite place to go, but since I've had to do a bit of traveling lately for work, I can see where she gets this idea.]