One of the things that has kept me busy this week is my move from an annoyingly un-private desk in a 4-person cubicle to a single-person desk in my own cubicle with a window!
If you can't tell, I sat in the seat on the right. There is someone sitting in the seat to the left, and I'm essentially sitting on someone's desk to take this picture, with the 4th person just off-camera to the right. There's a walkway running down the center of the cube and people cut through it all day long to get to the printer.
I'm still trying to get my piles of paper off the floor and desk and into cabinets. Not shown here are the massive file cabinets just behind the cube wall to the right full of someone else's stuff. Until I can either pack it up or get another file cabinet for myself, I'm making do with the floor-based-filing system.
But I'm psyched about the move:
- I get a window seat (yay natural sunlight)
- I don't have people sneaking up behind me
- I actually have a place to sit and talk with someone about the project when needed
- I can feel like I'm working in a solitary environment when I want to work and leave into the greater expanses of the office when I want to chat (you'd be amazed how much difference a few half-walls make in your productivity
- I can have vox open without people walking by wondering what the hell I'm doing instead of work! (Just kidding Mr. IT guys…I'm really not posting during the hours I'm charging to the project…I promise!)